Georg Schindler was a nephew of Friederike Wangenheim and therefore a member of the extended Weiss family. He was born on 14 July 1888 in Breslau. On 21 September 1919, he married Klothilde Stern, known as “Tilde”, in the Bavarian village of Buttenwiesen, where Tilde had been born on 16 August 1894. On 6 November 1919, the young couple moved to Berlin.
In 1939, they moved in as subtenants with relatives, named Kaiser and Lewy, at Albrecht Strasse 38 in Steglitz. After the latter two were deported in September and December 1942, respectively, Georg and Klothilde Schindler were the last remaining Jews in the apartment. On 1 February 1943, the Gestapo headquarters in Berlin completed the order to seize their assets. On 1 March 1943, it was delivered to them with notice of receipt in the assembly camp at Levetzow Strasse 8 in Moabit. Tilde Schindler was deported on 2 March 1943 on the “31st transport to the East” to Auschwitz; her husband Georg Schindler was deported on 3 March 1943 on the “32nd transport to the East”. Both are considered missing since their arrival in Auschwitz.
However, in a Yad Vashem page of testimony written in 1974, a sister-in-law of Georg Schindler’s, who emigrated to California, suggests that the Schindlers died in Dachau.